蒲生氏1601 - 1627
加藤氏1627 - 1643
保科氏1643 - 1868
会津若松城Aizu Wakamatsu Castle is classified as a hilltop castle (its layout: Teikakushiki), and is located in Fukushima Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Mutsu Province. It is associated with the Gamō, Matsudaira (Hoshina) clans. Dates in use: 1384 - 1874.
This castle, known more commonly to the locals as Tsuruga castle, was once the strongest in the Tōhoku area. It was laid siege to in the Boshin War of 1868 & after a month the occupants surrendered. Today we can see many rebuilt structures including the main tower, the Kurogane Gate, the Hashii Turret & two long, connecting turrets.
The layout of the defensive enclosures (apparently modelled after Toyotomi Hideyoshi's version of Ōsaka castle) remain more or less intact. The same cannot be said for the turrets & gates that once stood in them though. Weaving their way through these enclosures are well-defined, water-filled moats.
During dismantling of the castle in the late 1800's, the three-story turret of the main enclosure was transferred to the Amida temple. Grafted onto this turret is the Chinese-style, Kara-hafu-no-genkan, the entrance foyer of the Daisho-in (the castle's main administrative building).
|1384||The castle was built, at this time though it was known as Kurokawa Castle.|
|1589||Date Masamune fought the Ashina clan & gained possession of the castle.|
|1590||Possession of the castle was relinquished to the Gamō clan at the order of Toyotomi Hideyoshi.|
|1593||The castle was expanded upon complete with a seven-story main tower and renamed Tsuruga Castle.|
|1589||Uesugi Kagekatsu was stationed here.|
|1601||Once again the Gamō clan were stationed here.|
|1611||The main tower was damaged due to an earthquake.|
|1627||The Katō clan of Iyo, modern day Ehime, were stationed here.|
|1639||The seven-storied, five-layered main tower that the Katō clan had transported with them from Shikoku was erected & the outer defenses expanded upon.|
|1643||Masayuki of the Hoshina clan was stationed here.|
|1868||After a month long siege against Imperial forces, the castle's lord, Matsudaira Katamori, surrendered.|
|1874||The castle was decommissioned.|
|1900||The site was sold to the former lords of the castle, the Matsudaira clan.|
|1927||Ownership was transferred to Wakamatsu city.|
|1965||The main tower was rebuilt using concrete.|
|2001||The Hashii Turret & the Minami Hashiri (a long hall-like building connecting the Kurogane Gate & the Hashii Turret) was rebuilt using wood. Unusually, they sport red roof tiles.|
|2010||A restoration of the main tower commenced. The colour of the roof tiles will be changing to red.|
|Site||National Historic Site|