Japanese Castle Explorer

by Daniel O'Grady

       
The Baur Collection: Japanese Sword-Fittings and Associated Metalwork Imjin War book cover

Yamato Koriyama Castle

Images: Daniel O'Grady

郡山藩

Koriyama Domain


水野氏
1615 - 1619

Mizuno Clan

60,000 Koku

松平 (奥平)
1619 - 1639

Matsudaira (Okudaira)  Clan

120,000 Koku

本多氏
1639 - 1679

Honda Clan

150,000 Koku

松平 (藤井)
1679 - 1682

Matsudaira (Fujii) Clan

120,000 Koku

本多氏
1685 - 1723

Honda Clan

120,000 Koku

柳沢氏
1724 - 1871

Yanagisawa  Clan

Koku

大和郡山城
Yamato Koriyama Castle is classified as a hilltop castle (its layout: Rinkakushiki), and is located in Nara Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Yamato Province. It is associated with the Tsutsui, Toyotomi, Honda, Yanagisawa clans. Dates in use: 1580 - 1873.

Tsutsui Junkei relocated here from nearby Tsutsui Castle in 1580 after defeating his rivals, unfortunately though, Junkei would pass away a short time later. The next person to occupy the castle was Hashiba Hidenaga who not only improved the castle but instituted many local reforms. Koriyama Castle would see out its days in the service of the Yanagisawa clan's Men of Letters.

The remaining moats, towering stonework & overall rustic charm really impress. The grounds are quite extensive with several surprises. Keep an eye out for some re-purposed stonework. There are several historical buildings though none of them were related to castle defence. The turrets & gate date from the 1980's.

Google Map Views (グーグルマップ)


Best view ベストビュー
Orbit view 軌道ビュー

Timeline

1580 Tsutsui Junkei began construction of the castle.
1583 The main tower was completed.
1584 Tsutsui Junkei died.
1585 Hashiba Hidenaga began occupying the castle.
1595 The Masuta clan were stationed here.
1600 Following the battle of Sekigahara, the Ōkubo were stationed here.
1615 The Mizuno clan were stationed here.
1619 The Mizuno clan were transferred to Fukuyama & were replaced by the Okudaira branch of the Matsudaira clan. A palace was built in the Nino enclosure using materials from Fushimi Castle.
1639 The Okudaira clan were transferred to Himeji Castle.
1679 The Fujii branch of the Matsudaira clan were stationed here.
1685 The Honda clan were stationed here.
1724 The Yanagisawa clan were stationed here.
1873 The castle was abandoned.
1983 The Ōtemon was reconstructed.
1984 The Ōte Higashisumi Turret was reconstructed.
1987 The Ōtemon Watari Turret was reconstructed.

Historical recognition

SitePrefectural Historic Site