片倉氏1602 - 1871
白石城Shiroishi Castle is classified as a hilltop castle (its layout: Teikakushiki), and is located in Miyagi Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Mutsu Province. It is associated with the Gamō, Katakura clans. Dates in use: 1591 - 1875.
Atop the low laying hill where the main tower of Shiroishi Castle stood were four highly protected enclosures. On the side of the hill were a further five fortified enclosures and an additional two enclosures were located across the river.
This castle escaped demolition at a time when domains all over Japan were being limited to just one castle as ordered by the Tokugawa Shogunate.
|1591||The castle was built by a retainer of the Gamo clan.|
|1598||The Uesugi clan were stationed here. The defences were renovated.|
|1600||Date Masamune seized control of the castle.|
|1602||The Katakura clan were stationed here.|
|1819||A major fire in the main enclosure destroyed all buildings.|
|1823||The three-level turret was reconstructed.|
|1875||The castle was abandoned. The three-level turret was demolished.|
|1995||The castle was restored using traditional methods.|