Japanese Castle Explorer

by Daniel O'Grady

       
The Baur Collection: Japanese Sword-Fittings and Associated Metalwork Castles of the Samurai: Power and Beauty

Takada Castle

Images: ©Niigata Professional Photographers Society/©JNTO

高田藩

Takada Domain


松平氏
1610 - 1616

Matsudaira Clan

600,000 Koku

酒井氏
1616 - 1619

Sakai Clan

100,000 Koku

松平氏
1619 - 1624

Matsudaira Clan

250,000 Koku

松平氏
1624 - 1685

Matsudaira Clan

260,000 Koku

稲葉氏
1685 - 1701

Inaba Clan

102,000 Koku

戸田氏
1701 - 1710

Toda Clan

67,000 Koku

松平 (久松)
1710 - 1741

Hisamatsu Clan

110,000 Koku

榊原氏
1741 - 1871

Sakakibara Clan

150,000 Koku

高田城
Takada Castle is classified as a flatland castle (its layout: Rinkakushiki), and is located in Niigata Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Echigo Province. It is associated with the Matsudaira clan. Dates in use: 1614 - 1871.

Despite the difficulties of having to divert three rivers, four months was all it took to fashion this castle out of the landscape. It was built without a main tower but more unusually it was built without the stonework that is normally associated with Japanese castles. The original dominant building, a three-story turret, burnt down in 1870 and its replacement was built in 1993.

Google Map Views (グーグルマップ)


Best view ベストビュー
Orbit view 軌道ビュー

Timeline

1614 The castle was built.
1624 The Sankai Turret was built.
1665 The Sankai Turret collapsed in an earthquake. It was later rebuilt.
1802 All buildings in the main enclosure were lost to fire
1870 The palace was burnt to the ground.
1871 The castle was abandoned.
1993 The Sankai Turret was rebuilt.